Mittwoch, 15. Februar 2017

Look up, look down, look around

Dear Netherlands,


I already mentioned it before but they say that Erasmus is like a rollercoaster. I could not agree more.
On Erasmus, you meet highly intersting people. They surprise you - in good or not so good ways. Nonetheless, they teach you a lot.
I intend to 'find myself' here - as cliché as that may sound. And yes, through the experiences here, uni or private life, I learn what I wish to learn. Slowly, but steadily.


Dear Netherlands, you know, in life, it's about the little things. Random acts of kindness.
Today, I was on my way home from my excursion to the city centre after uni (I just HAD to see the Grote Markt in proper sunshine for the first time), when I and the other cyclists stopped at a traffic light. A young woman and a young man behind me had a conversation in English. Usually it's me and my Italian friend who entertain the other cyclists at traffic lights or annoy them by cycling next to each other on the fietspad. This time it was, as I guessed, two other Erasmus students. Funnily enough, they talked about the fact that they always presuppose the Dutch speaking English. That they do not even try to approach the Dutch in Dutch, but readily start talking to them in English.
I do the same, yet, I always apologise for only speaking English and make integration efforts, for example trying to pronounce the name of the bread in the bakkerij. The verkoopster then happily corrects me and teaches me one or two words in their language. I then praise their heerlijk carrot cake and we part as happy people.
I arrived at my student dorm and 20 seconds later the Erasmus students from the traffic lights arrived at the bike sheds. Since it is a bit tricky to hold the door of the shed open while pushing your bike inside, I saw the girl struggling with it and held the door open for her. She was thankful and we started a chat about the bike parking spaces. We then both realized that we 'met' at the traffic light and she said she just cycled relaxed behind me because I had such a convenient pace. Oh we then had a lovely little chat about our studies. If I had not held open that door, we would not have got to known each other.

Everybody I met today was in such a good mood thanks to the beautiful weather. It is still a bit chilly but the clear blue sky and bright sunshine make up for it. Spring is definitely on it's way. I, for sure, had a spring in my step! The last three weeks here were characterised by snow, rain and cold. And this one sunny day makes me incredibly happy.



Sunlit 'Grote Markt'



Typical Dutch snack: my beloved carrot cake and a variety of 'kaas': jong belegen, verse geitenkaas met honing and roombrie.


I cannot emphasize enough how lucky I am to study at this university for my Erasmus. On Monday I attended an evening lecture by a p rofessor from the London School of Economics about 'Europe's Promise. Kant's Point of View', he talked about euro-scepticism, euro-federalism and Kant's third way. Kant anticipated a United Europe of States, instead of the United States of Europe, so that states could maintain peace without giving up their sovereignity. It was a highly interesting talk.
How lucky we are to live in the Netherlands, Germany, Great Britain...!



I also genuinely enjoy my Political Communication lecture every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. I soak up everything like a sponge and let myself be inspired.

"Joy in looking and comprehending is nature's most beautiful gift." - Albert Einstein

It is true. Oh, so true. Look around. In nature. In your surroundings. Engage with your environment. Be present. And learn.




A little goes a long way: a welcome card from the city of Nijmegen. I genuinely feel welcomed here.

Even on days when the sun blinds you while riding your bike: Keep your eyes open.


Love,


Jane





Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen