Sonntag, 15. Januar 2017

Before

Dear Netherlands,


just one week to go before I start my Erasmus semester in Nijmegen.
Whenever I tell people that I (as a German in close proximity to your country) am going to study in your country for half a year, I receive mixed reactions. Some people say "Oh, that's fantastic! I love the Netherlands! I want to study there myself", some people say "The Netherlands?? That's almost Germany! But I assume it is also nice". Yes, also nice.
I try not to have too high expectations since that proved me wrong in the past.
Before my stay in England in 2013 (www.german-by-birth-british-in-the-heart.blogspot.com) I had very high expectations, since I was so in love with this country - and still am. Even if my experiences there did not quite meet my expectations and sent me back to Germany a tad disillusioned. I had a lovely time there, especially at the beginning, but I was not as happy as I imagined I would be. Yet, my time there helped me grow and shape my personality immensely. I am very grateful for that and will always return to the small coastal town particularly and the beautiful country generally.

When the opportunity arose at my university to apply for an Erasmus semester, my first preference was Glasgow, UK, and to be honest, only my second was you, Netherlands - to be precise: Nijmegen, NL. In the application process it was already clear that they preferred to send me to you, since there were so many applicants for Scotland.
Since my visits in beautiful The Hague in 2013 I seriously considered studying in your country since everything appealed to me so much.
And then again, I had always dreamed of studying at a traditional British University, too. I didn't start with either, but decided to study in my German hometown first.
Now I try to see it as my 'destiny' that I am sent to Nijmegen for my Erasmus and am determined to make the best out of it. After all, I do love you, Netherlands, as well!


I am very much looking forward to my time and want to be open-minded, non-judgemental and want to be surprised. I strongly intend to savour my life in your country - and soak everything up like a sponge.


Whenever people answer to my statement about spending my Erasmus semster in your country slightly negatively or disbelieving, rest assured that I still know why I want to study in your country: because of your beautiful countryside, your open-minded, progressive, innovative and kind people, your good university reputations, the splendid architecture of your cities, your lifestyle, your relationship with nature and the sea and your fantastic music.




See you soon!



Yours,


Jane



Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen