Samstag, 28. Januar 2017

Sunny Saturday

Dear Netherlands,


In my last post I praised the Dutch car drivers being so considerate towards cyclicsts. That still holds true, yet local Dutch cyclists are not considerate towards foreign cyclists who are trying to find their way with Google Maps, being distracted by pretty shop windows, lovely sights or buildings, or struggling with getting their bike started at traffic lights. All this describes: Me.
They yell at these foreigners, shake their heads and overtake with an intimidatingly high speed. Equally impolite are 'bromfiets' which are allowed to ride on the 'fietspad' as well - unfortunately.


Today I had a lovely Saturday - a proper, much needed  Saturday. I went to the market with an Italian and a Dutch friend and was amazed by the freshness, variety and quality of the products. It was wonderful to touch the vegetables and smell the food. The Dutch Girl and I left the Italian guy at the fish stall and dived into the fruit and vegetable tent. After a while the Dutch 'verkoopster' aproached me and let lose a flood of words. I am constantly trying to tune my ear and am progressing in understanding the Dutch and answer with a few easy words. But this time I was not able not understand a single word - probably because of the verkoopster's thick accent. I said 'sorry, I do not understand, I am not from here, unfortunately' and tried to sneak away. A second later I heard him yell 'Niet weglopen!'. I understood this and turned on my heel. He kept on talking and waved tangerines in front of my eyes. I looked at my Dutch friend and saw her smirking.
We finally got away and I asked her what the verkoopster tried to tell me. She said that he said that if I also run away from boys I will never find a boyfriend. I was gobsmacked. He knew nothing at all about my private life and it was none of his business!
Besides, I always presuppose that the Dutch speak English. Yes, it is true, most of them do. But I somehow find it rude to approach someone in a language which is not the language of the country. In English-speaking countries it would obviously be perfectly alright to address the locals in English. Here I always feel sorry when I cause confused looks on faces who try to switch languages quickly.
On Wednesday we had a rally in the city centre to ask locals to translate Nijmeegse slang words. My group voted for me to be the speaker so I adressed passersby by saying 'Excuse me, do you speak English? ('Yes') Are you a local? ('Yes') We are international students and we...". So I always tried to make sure not to be rude by simply letting lose a flood of words in English.




After the interesting incident on the market the Italian friend and I went on exploring the beautiful town of Nijmegen. I was so excited when I found the tea shop I fell in love with in The Hague four years ago on Lange Hezelstraat in Nijmegen. I immediately stopped my bike in front of it and dragged my friend inside to buy a very special tea. There are so many interesting and beautiful shops in Nijmegen - luckily I have a rather limited budget! :'D
In the afternoon I met up with German friends who study in Groningen. It was a coincidence that they were in Nijmegen this weekend, they had planned their trip unaware of the fact that I moved here on Monday. We ate delicious 'pannenkoeken' at a pannenkoeken huis and afterwards walked along the Waal river shore. It reminded us of Hamburg and we enjoyed the sunshine, the water, the boats and the 'wobbly bridge'.


 It really is wobbly!


 Waal

 Boats
 Waal bridge

My beautiful Dutch bike in front of a beautiful shop in beautiful Nijmegen


Thank you for today, Nijmegen!


Yesterday I saw a sticker in one of the university buildings saying 'Don't hurry, be happy'. That sums my motto up. I have to admit that I have become a lot calmer over the last days. I do not panic easily anymore. I am the one who knows her way around and shows the others. I am the one who says 'Everything will be alright' and always stays optimistic. Of course I used to say this before my time here as well, but now I say it with certainty. Maybe just because I am lucky and everything has turned out so well for me in the past days. Perhaps my attitude will change but for the moment I am really happy here. I might say this with the initial enthusiasm, but why not.

I have always been of the opinion that I can only be truly happy at the 'right place' for me. Even if I had never been aware of this 'right, perfect place' and if it exists at all. Like I said in one of my last posts: somwehere it might always be better, we might miss something. I thought I could only be truly happy somewhere in Great Britain (since in my opinion it is such a perfectly beautiful country).
I have to say, I have been welcomed in Nijmegen with open arms and with people who only want the best for other people. People who are present in the place where they are and who focus on the people they are there with.

"Wherever you go - there you are." Ö.T.

I genuinely practice mindfulness here. 

Love, Jane

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen